Friday, October 4, 2013

Beatitudes

image from lds.org

I have read chapter 5 of Matthew a few times but for the first time I read the footnote for verse 3ª, and there we read: "The Latin beatus is the basis of the English “beatitude,” meaning “to be fortunate,” “to be happy,” or “to be blessed.” TG Blessing. So I thought "Okay, blessed mean happy". But then I went to read a little from the New Testament's institute student manual and I know now that there is more to that word. The manual says " Blessedness is defined as being higher than happiness. ‘Happiness comes from without and is dependent on circumstances; blessedness is an inward fountain of joy in the soul itself, which no outward circumstances can seriously affect.” Suddenly those first verses of chapter 5 have more meaning to me. I am sure that as we follow Christ’s instructions on this sermon we will qualify to live with Him for all eternity.
President Harold B. Lee (1899-1973), in “Decisions for Successful Living” pg. 56, gives definitions for each beatitude found in Matthew 5. I encourage you to go read them all (https://www.lds.org/manual/the-life-and-teachings-of-jesus-and-his-apostles/section-3-the-second-year-of-jesus-public-ministry/chapter-8-be-ye-therefore-perfect?lang=eng), but would like to choose three of them to talk about, and how they have in the past or can in the future increase happiness in my life.

Blessed Are the Poor in Spirit
President Lee said “To be poor in spirit is to feel yourselves as the spiritually needy, ever dependent upon the Lord for your clothes, and your food and the air you breathe, your health, your life; realizing that no day should pass without fervent prayer of thanksgiving, for guidance and forgiveness and strength sufficient for each day’s need.”
I remember when my mission president’s wife, Sister Barreto, taught us that gratitude brings happiness to our lives. Every time I stop to realize how many blessings I have received from the Lord, my heart fills with joy, I feel loved. Every morning (or most of them) I pray that my actions throughout the day will be guided by the Holy Ghost, and if I am paying enough attention I will understand that my calling the sister I visit teach, for an example, was an action inspired by the spirit. And when I pray before bedtime I ask Heavenly Father to forgive me for my short comings, I ask Him to help me better the next day; there is always room, a few acres maybe, for improvement.

Blessed Are the Meek
“A meek man is defined as one who is not easily provoked or irritated and forbearing under injury or annoyance. Meekness is not synonymous with weakness. The meek man is the strong, the mighty, the man of complete self-mastery. He is the one who has the courage of his moral convictions, despite the pressure of the gang or the club.”, President Lee stated.

One of the things that came to mind when I was reading about this one is my role as a parent. Next year my son will start kindergarten and will slowly enter the real world without holding my hands. Am I a good example to him of meekness? I’m working on it. In the course of his young life, will he have the moral convictions to stand for what is right? That is my most fervent prayer. I know that as we all strive to be kind to others and defend the truth, happiness will be abundant within us.

Blessed Are the Merciful
This is what President Harold B. Lee taught us about mercy, he explained “Our salvation rests upon the mercy we show to others. Unkind and cruel words, or wanton acts of cruelty toward man or beast, even though in seeming retaliation, disqualify the perpetrator in his claims for mercy when he has need of mercy in the day of judgment before earthly or heavenly tribunals. Is there one who has never been wounded by the slander of another whom he thought to be his friend? Do you remember the struggle you had to refrain from retribution? Blessed are all you who are merciful for you shall obtain mercy!”
I think the world today is in desperate need of mercy. Not only mercy from God, but from each other. There is so much hate out there. People are so quick to judge others. I confess I am guilty of that, maybe not in words but in thought. But I am learning, learning through my own struggles in life. As years go by and understand more about the battles we face.  We should all exercise mercy unto others, because we definitely need the same from our Father in Heaven. S. Michael Wilcox, an instructor at the LDS Institute of Religion in Utah, counseled: “If we can learn to turn our eye inward—even when we feel that the major offense lies elsewhere—we will find ourselves more able to forgive and to extend mercy. We will become more like Christ.”
I know Christ showed us the path, by word and deed, to eternal exaltation. I know He loves us and provides us help every step of the way into becoming more like Him.


No comments:

Post a Comment