Sunday, October 6, 2013

Parables


To me a parable is when you explain a principle using a simple story to illustrate how that principle might be applied. Jesus taught using parables, especially during His ministry in Galilee.
Some of the parables that Jesus used can be the answer for questions about the church today.
·         What describes the future growth of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints?
Parable of the tares.
·         Why does the Church send out so many missionaries?
Parable of the leaven.
·         How do you explain the remarkable growth of the Church, considering that is fairly new compared to most world religions and started small in the American frontier?
Parable of the mustard seed.
·         Why are some members of the Church willing to sacrifice so much worldly wealth and recognition in order to maintain membership in the Church?
Parable of the pearl of great price.
·         Why do some church members choose to leave the Church?
Parable of the gospel net.
When I consider the parables of the treasure and the pearl of great price, I think about the sacrifices of church pioneers, which in turn makes me ponder about my own life and things I had to give up to follow Christ. My sacrifices seem small compared to those who came before me, especially those who sacrificed their lives, but they still blessed me immensely. I have sacrificed time for the gospel by serving as a full time missionary; and how thankful I am for that experience. Every month I have the opportunity to sacrifice two important meals on the first Sunday and apart from helping others with fast offerings I help myself as I draw closer to my Heavenly Father. I would like to think that I would sacrifice anything for the gospel if the Lord were to ask that of me; to make that true in my life I try, step by step, to keep  the commandments and strength my faith in my Savior.
In Matthew 13:47-48 we read:
47 Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto a net, that was cast into the sea, and gathered of every kind:
 48 Which, when it was full, they drew to shore, and sat down, and gathered the good into vessels, but cast the bad away.
The net in this parable represent the gospel of Jesus Christ, and to be gathered into the net is to be baptized into the church. But being baptized is not enough. We call come to church with our weaknesses and trials, if we do not endure to the end we won’t gathered with the good in the vessel, instead, we will be cast out.


No comments:

Post a Comment